The Third Doctor Adventures: Kaleidoscope

 

Doctor Who: Kaleidoscope 

As my first thorough journey into the Third Doctor Adventures, I think that I could have done a whole lot worse than Kaleidoscope, the six-part boxset that stars absolutely none of the original Doctor Who cast yet still feels more authentic than some that do. 


Kaleidoscope is a weird story, and it’s one that’s a little hard to summarize thanks to its sort of strange layout and twists and turns, and absolutely ridiculous part five, which might be one of the most bold and wacky things Big Finish have done in recent memory. Kaleidoscope is one of those stories that despite being authentic to an era for the most part, sort of decides to go a little wild at times and do things you might not expect. This is one of the most fun things about the set in general. 


The set opens with the arrival of Kaleidoscope, a possible alien being who gives foreboding warnings on late night talk shows, hosted by Sarah Jane Smith’s hitherto unheard of rival, Jenny Nettles. The plot goes all sorts of places from there - you may think that the incredibly interesting Nanobot thread that the story sets up would be a lovely thing to hinge the six parter on, but they’re gone by the end of part three! There’s all sorts of things happening, and at the end, It all comes together very nicely, ultimately of course, but it’s also different from the usual six part format and for a time can seem somewhat episodic and unfortunately, at times a little aimless. 


That sounds a little harsh on what Kaleidoscope as a story is ultimately doing, which really, I rather liked. It’s relative directionless is used to forward our guest characters’ arcs over a greater span of time. One of the most important things the serial does is be sure it has the things to justify its gargantuan length. This is a thing a lot of stories find difficulty in doing. Six parter’s length can either make them sink or swim. Luckily, Kaleidoscope works with this length as I was never really sure of where exactly it was going, or how it would progress next. It’s a six part format, yes, so it will definitely grate on you if you do it all in one sitting, but that’s the usual scenario with six-parters and other long stories. If you do it in sittings though, I’d imagine you’d have a lot of fun in relishing the cliffhangers, just as I did. 


As with a lot of Big Finish productions, a lot of fun of Kaleidoscope is the “magic trick” of tricking your brain into thinking you’re doing a serial you haven’t seen that was made in the 70s. Tim Treloar is exceptional as usual as the Third Doctor, but he’s almost his own beast at this point, his own interpretation of Three, whereas Jon Culshaw and Sadie Miller are almost in a sense somewhat scary with how accurate they are. I’m well used to Culshaw as the Brig by now, but this was my first audio play I’ve heard featuring Sadie Miller, and dear lord, I genuinely forgot at the start that it wasn’t Elizabeth Sladen. The magic trick indeed fooled me, and while that moment didn’t last long, I was indeed very thankful for it. Miller isn’t just an impressionist, she’s as much Sarah Jane as her mother in my book, and I never had thought in my entire life that I would say such a sacrilegious thing. 


But comparing Kaleidoscope exclusively to the Pertwee era and its only merit as a “magic trick” would do it a disservice. Kaleidoscope is kind of bonkers? I don’t know how else to describe it truly. There’s no discussing Kaleidoscope without discussing it’s utterly absurdist part five in which a rock star summons demons from parallel universe 667 (one eviler) all the while he’s doing what I can only assume is like some sort of Austin Powers impression?? (Groovy, baby!) Throughout this entire episode - which indeed, is necessary but is also doing its own thing - there are a lot of truly campy and hysterical scenes featuring Kaleidoscope such as that one, that are juxtaposed directly next to a series of dramatic scenes with The Doctor and Sarah Jane. I’m not sure if this tonal whiplash is necessarily effective, but it and the absolutely insane sound design, which I won’t spoil, lead it to be the most memorable part of the entire six parter… As for better or worse, I still have not decided. All I know is that for 26 minutes, Pertwee traditionalism was taken out behind the barn and shot. 


Oh yeah, and I should quickly mention that there is some continuity stuff you may find a tad cringy?? I don’t know how else to put it, but they REALLY force a “Harry Sullivan is an imbecile” joke in there. Whatever. 


As said, yeah, I do love this one, but I’d also be remiss to say that it’s flawless or anything. I’m not sure what the hell this three hour six part journey even is at times, but it is UTTERLY entertaining no matter what, and definitely a fervent recommendation if you’ve never jumped into the Third Doctor Adventures at Big Finish before. I’ll always be one to champion something that’s at least never been done, and well, while Kaleidoscope advertises itself in Vortex issues and whatnot as an authentic journey back to the Barry Letts era of the 70s, it’s a lot more wild and unique a beast to be merely that. 8 or 9?/10 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cobwebs

Torchwood: Aliens Among Us 2

NCJDDAS: Dark Page

(MAIN RANGE): Dinnertime Part One

Ninth Doctor Adventures: Ravagers