The Warehouse


The Warehouse by Mike Tucker

Okay, so this one might be one of the most run of the mill Doctor Who stories on audio that I've heard - but it does it with style and it does it without making me want to stop paying attention every two seconds like Shield of the Jotunn did for instance. It's a classic Doctor Who 4-parter. While We Are The Daleks was a bit of an idealized version of season 24, this essentially is season 24, and it uses it to it's advantage. It's just season 24 with the slightly tweaked more palatable versions of Seven and Mel - and the result is actually really good! I was honestly surprised as hell the more I listened to this one: I kept thinking, "oh, I've heard this idea a thousand times!" or "wait, let me guess, x is totally lying," and I technically was right, but somehow the play didn't bore me. A subtly smart piece of writing is one that can grab your attention even if you know that it's doing something you've seen a hundred times before. The story in itself is about an Amazon Warehouse IN SPACE! With a little bit of Paradise Tower's teeth to it- it's got some of that fun language of a civilization having grown up around a weird thing. But I think Mike Tucker himself says it best in his description of the story in his Writer's Notes on the website: "The end result was a set of decidedly old-fashioned scripts, but ones that I hope carry the listener back to a version of ‘Doctor Who’ produced in a slightly more innocent time." And you know what? They do! The end result of the Warehouse is an oddity - a generic Big Finish story that was somehow an utter riot without being all that funny. I'm not quite sure I've heard anything quite like it - 8/10 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cobwebs

Torchwood: Aliens Among Us 2

NCJDDAS: Dark Page

(MAIN RANGE): Dinnertime Part One

Ninth Doctor Adventures: Ravagers