(MAIN RANGE): The Roman Discrepancy


(MAIN RANGE): The Roman Discrepancy

Gallifrey

VFX: Subject begins to speak. He grumbles in a low tone. It is difficult to tell what he is saying. Further instances of sound effects will be inscribed for the reader, as the original tapes have been lost to the archives. 

"For the benefit of the tape, could you please speak up?"

"Yes? Mm, Yes? Ah. Hello, there. I was wondering where exactly I was."

"Gallifrey has used a time-scoop. You are in the private offices of the CIA. I am the Coordinator."

"Hm? Ah, well, yes, that's very good for you. They call me Roman, pleased to meet you."

"You are the Time Lord Romanadvoratrelundar, with the Aliases, Romana, Roman, and Fred?" 

"Yes. That's me. I must, say, what is with this whole thing going on here? Why have I been brought here? Time Scoops are very dangerous devices, and ones the time lords rarely if ever stoop to." 

VFX: The ruffling of something like paper shuffles gently in the background. This is concerning, as any Gallifreyan will know, the CIA does not use paper. Cause unknown.

"Time Lord Romanavoratrelundar, one of your incarnations has been charged with-                                                               

VFX: Errors in the script from this point on abound. Usually if always hiding key information. As if something in this tape was censored by Gallifreyan High Command and covered up. Resume Recording.

"Oh. Well, you can rest assured it's not me, dear fellow. I have scruples." 

"Mr. Romanadvoratrelundar, No Time Lord has scruples. I have been assigned to work on your timeline reconstruction. You, are as of our scans, the most recent body of the time lord Romanadvora-" 

"I'll stop you right there. This is my Eighth body. No timeline reconstruction is needed."

"That doesn't compute with our files. Please explain."

"I am a natural-born master of facial reconstruction via regenerative energy. I am capable of changing my face at a whim, using up only a minor amount of regenerative energy. I can change it to my hearts's desire, giving me more faces than I have bodies. I have only actually regenerated on a few occasions." 

"Your ability is well-documented. This does still not compute with our files." 

"My regenerations go as follows. Brown Haired One in White Dress who was bossy. Yellow Haired One who looked like Princess Astra- It took me a while to decide on that one...  -                                                                            "

"Stop. This data is incorrect. We will take a brief recess."

"If you know this data, why are you asking me?"

                                

VFX: Static buzzing grows, obscuring conversation until recording is clicked off. 

* * *

VFX; New Recording. It was found in the same file. It is even more corrupted than the previous recording 

Personal Log, Coordinator.

Alright, if well, future generations may look at this, I may as well explain. Coordinator is not my actual title. My name is                       , and I am a Time Lord intern for the CIA. This is my final assignment for the year, I've been given a subject, and a simple task to interview him. My instructor describes it as childs play. That he's never seen an intern fail at the task before. Well, he sure does have a shitstorm ahead of him. 

The thing is Roman, Romana, whatever, they have the most complicated timestream I've ever seen put to record. They have an average of                      major incursions per era, doubling either during their time in the presidency or with the Doctor. My professor analyzed the Doctor's timestream in class once, saying that we'd never see a more complicated one, and if you could understand this, you'd understand anything. Well, the Doctor has an average of               major incursions per era. Romana has Twice That!

Come on! I don't get how this makes an iota of sense. I don't think the scanner logged that this is a former president. There's no way they would have given me this assignment if they actually knew the number of Romana's incarnations. It's hilarious. Is this spite? Does the instructor hate me that much? I swear, it doesn't make any sense. The trouble begins with knowing where the regenerations begin and end. Obviously, Roman, Romana, whatever, they can change their face at will. That computes. They have the strongest classification of ability at regeneration on record. But this falls apart when you look at the shape of the bodies. Or the heights. 

It's clearly not the same body, and yet, Romana can try on new bodies like clothes on whatever day they please. It caused a few scuffles during the presidency when she wanted to try some new faces, such as the                                       Event. 

The problem begins to solidify during the Doctor's description of her second regeneration. It's utter bollocks. There's no way she should be able to shuffle through bodies like that, even a master of facial regeneration... At least the Doctor is the Timeless              

But if gets HILARIOUS when you reach body number three. At least body number three by Roman's admission. Most of the files concerning this regeneration are classified- but from what I can make out- She's from a completely alternate timeline, and the cause of the regeneration itself was averted. And Romana doesn't regenerate into her at all anymore.
But she still shows up. 
In our timeline. Without crossing universes, without anything, the woman still shows up.

How are events like                                                                      still covered up? This regeneration is everywhere- even at the Kennedy assassination on Earth- but according to our files, she doesn't exist.

I've talked to Romana's most recent body, this Roman, for a while now. Speaking of Roman, it's yet another Paradox where the term originates. 

There's an enormous temporal fracture just before the Doctor met Roman to travel with again. The Doctor was kidnapped at the hands of the Rani. And Three versions of Romana came to rescue her- The so-called first, the so-called second, and the so-called Fourth. 

The Second insisted the Fourth call himself Roman so it wasn't confusing to the other Romanas. 

But- here's the kicker. That guy wasn't the fourth. There was another two regenerations before that- which our recent Romana forgot completely about- One that was called Roman before the name was given to him in the first place. By himself.

The Roman that travelled with the Doctor's Twenty Sixth Incarnation Once changed his face into that of Earth Celebrity Sean Connery as a joke. For a grand total of two minutes.

There are seventeen seperate incursion files involving this incarnation of Romana. Yet another that shouldn't exist.

 According to the matrix, none of Romanas future regenerations will look like him either.

I've recalled the incarnation of Roman that I spoke to to his normal spot in the timeline- I need to speak to one of the others. 

VFX: New Recording. Seems to be a secondary Track to the first- another interrogation tape instead of the previous personal log. The Person that the investigative officer is talking to is not identifiable whatsoever. Logic dictates she is one of the Romanas not placed on Gallifreyan File.

"Hello. I am the Coordinator. I'm here to talk to you, Romana."

"Oh, goodie. I can't wait. Are you really a coordinator, like Narvin, or- isn't that an honorary title of whoever's doing the interrogating? I always thought it was silly that Gallifrey doesn't use the term interrogator anymore. Well, maybe it's because it's too honest. Too nasty sounding, so they picked a nicer sounding word to cover it up. Oh, I sometimes think I miss my Presidency but I really, really don't." 

"I want to figure out your timeline. You've been accused of                                                                                                                                              ."

"Oh my, that is bad."

"Where were you at the time? What body?"

"I was in the library, with Mrs. Scarlett and the candlestick."

"Don't be flippant with me."

"Oh, coordinator, please. Flippancy is a defense mechanism, one I learned since I was thrown out on the street, as a child."

"Were you?"

"No."


VFX: Subject stops for about thirty seconds. Inscribed note states that she is adjusting her long curly black hair.

"You're familiar with this face?"

VFX: Coordinator is holding up picture of the Seventh Romana interviewed.

"Yep."

"You Know They are the Seventh Romana." 

"I am the Seventh Romana." 

"Exactly. That's what I'd like you to explain." 

"Oh, that's simple. We're both the Seventh Romana." 

"You are from alternate timelines?" 

"No. We're the Seventh Romana."

"You are the same being, split?" 

"No. We're the Seventh Romana."

"A regenerated clone then? Or a different face?"

"Let me tell you a secret, Coordinator. You aren't going to find an answer. You can look into your files, dig and dig and dig, and try and make all the timelines you want. We are just two people, and our histories don't conflate with eachothers, and that's perfectly fine by my book. He's a stylish man, I'll give him that."

"I need to have an answer."

"Tell me, Coordinator, what's your name?" 

"My Name is Carasonadoraedvoratrelundar." 

VFX: Incredible amounts of static. 

"You do know I once worked here? In this place? As an intern?"

"What are you getting at?"

"I changed my name early in my career. From Carasonadoraedvoratrelundar to  Romanadvoratrelundar." 

"That's not possible. That can't be true. You aren't- a-" 

"I could be lying. But I'm not. The thing is, the explanation is perfectly simple." 

VFX: Romana...One of them? Shrugs. Paper ruffles. There is still no paper.

"You know the first Romana? You're also the first Romana." 

VFX: Confused Screaming

"Come on. I'll explain it to you! It's simple! There's no need to run away. It's not like we're the timeless child or anything!" 

VFX: The (First?) Romana's footsteps are heard, running as they exit the chamber. The Seventh Romana moves over and sits in the Coordinator Romana's chair. She clicks the recording.

VFX: Romana is still sitting in the chair. She begins a new recording. 

"Personal Log: Coordinator Romana. I've cracked the case."


The End

This Story (Hypothetically) Starred the Official Romana Timeline:
                  as The Timeless Romana
Mary Tamm as The First Romana
Naoko Mori as The First Romana (Coordinator)
Lalla Ward as The Second Romana
Chris Evans as The Second Romana
Tig Notaro as The Second Romana 
Juliet Landau as The Third Romana
Juliet Landau --- - - - - - -
Juliet Landau -- Juliet Landau --Juliet Landau - -- -
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 
Carole Ann Ford as The Pi Romana 
Patrick Stewart as The Fourth Romana
Ruth Negga as The Fourth Romana
Sean Connery as The Fifth Romana
Ian McKellen as The Fifth Romana
Tom Baker as The Fifth Romana 
Patrick Stewart as The Sixth Romana
Iwan Rheon as The Sixth Romana
Patrick Stewart as The Seventh Romana
Sandra Oh as The Seventh Romana
JK Simmons as The Eighth Romana
                         as The War Romana  
Anna Tyler Joy as The Ninth Romana
Juliet Landau - _- -- - Juliet Landau - - - -- - ---
*Timeline Collapses*






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cobwebs

Torchwood: Aliens Among Us 2

NCJDDAS: Dark Page

(MAIN RANGE): Dinnertime Part One

Ninth Doctor Adventures: Ravagers