The Diary Of River Song 1


The Boundless Sea By Jenny T Colgan

I’ll be quick here. The Diary Of River Song was my first Big Finish. I’m really biased.
It hurts me to say that The Boundless Sea is merely average. 
River is a bit cold here, Alex Kingston still getting used to the part on audio. It’s ideas have been used before, and better.
God, this hurts me to write. 
Hello, Sweetie: River is the number one character most deserving of her own spinoff. In the opinion of someone who loves River. She’s a controversial lady, like most of Moffat’s. She’s not much different here from television. Slowly, Big Finish does redefine her character, making her much subtler, and in my opinion, even better. Just know that it’s definitely not for a bit. She does archeology though. That’s nice. 
Overall: Boundless Sea is probably a lot worse than I give it credit for. But I don’t know, um, 7.5/10

I Went To A Marvelous Party by Justin Richards

This one didn’t even really capture me at the time, but looking back, it’s decidedly average, and a lot better than I remember. 
It’s River does Poirot. There are some great bits with some Bondlike villains controlling ecosystems. And Bertie is still here, making for a great secondary mystery. 
Too bad most of it is still kind of sloppy. 
Hello Sweetie: Slowly, River is being a bit more different than her Television counterpart.  She’s quite nice, but most of the work isn’t done yet. She may still be annoying to you. 
Overall: Probably weaker than the last one, but only slightly. So, um, since the last one was 7.5, this one is...7.4/10. And I initially thought it was like a 3, so I don’t even know. 

Signs By James Goss

I cannot get over how much I love this one.
It’s quite similar to Heaven Sent, not in ideas, but in execution, and if that doesn’t give you the overwhelming urge to listen, well, you have issues.
Hello Sweetie: River is top tier here. Most of the refinements in her character have been made now, Alex Kingston is used to audio, it’s lovely.
Overall: This isn’t just nostalgia that I have personally. This is one of the best Big Finishes In it’s own right, fight me. 10/10, but also my number 2 best audio ever made by the company like seriously this one is absolutely amazing, I will go on for hours-

The Rulers Of The Universe By Matt Fitton

River meets 8. Again. So, she meets, um..Time War 8. And he’s Offscreen for most of the thing. But River does commit tons of murder against mean people, completing her arc for the box set in some positively 10/10 scenes, it’s just kind of Crap elsewhere. 
Hello Sweetie: In those 10/10 scenes, Kingston is on fire, giving some absolutely great moments that are exceedingly Moffat like solutions, while being thoroughly ruthless and differentiating herself from the Doctor, which really helps sell you on the series. That is, if you’re still listening after the first two. 
Physician, Heal Thyself: Time War 8 does some things, and takes over the story for a bit, barely can be considered to even encounter River, and is kind of just there, so…
Overall: Has some amazing beautiful perfect oh my god moments hidden in a bunch of piffle. 8.5/10

UPDATE:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cobwebs

Torchwood: Aliens Among Us 2

NCJDDAS: Dark Page

(MAIN RANGE): Dinnertime Part One

Ninth Doctor Adventures: Ravagers