City of Spires


City of Spires by Simon Bovey

This audio’s got a reputation as a generally good story, which does make me feel guilty somewhat as I don’t think I have the connection to it to make it work. For one, I’ve not done an enormous amount of Second Doctor stories. It’s not that I dislike the era, it’s just usually quite an investment of time to get into.  I’ve done the usual greatest hits, Mind Robber, Power of the Daleks, Tomb of the Cybermen, but quite frankly, not enough. And while I’d like to do more Second Doctor someday, I just don’t feel the drive to do so. Partially it’s that they’re missing, partially it’s that they’re usually very long, and partially it’s that Britbox doesn’t have basically anything when it comes to Two. So, while I don’t despise him, and I have done enough of his stories to understand him, I don’t have the emotional connection to Jamie to be especially excited about his return. What makes this tale hurt all the more is I feel how barebones Doctor Who it is. I can’t help but feel how many times we’ve had an anachronistic timeline done in a similar way. And the alterations to history don’t ultimately make for much spectacle. Which I personally think this story needs. You need to have character work, cool ideas, or spectacle. And I hate to say it doesn’t work for me! Our regulars are good though, I will give them that. Baker and Hines have a close relationship, or at least something appearing as such - they after all, did spend a lot of time together in The Two Doctors, and even though that is one story, the bond is there, that aspect is available. I do feel perhaps that Peri being present would have given this one a little more life, as the story goes out of it’s way to introduce Georgia Tennant as a surrogate companion figure. All in all, I do feel a sort of sense of longing when it comes to City of Spires. It could be [David Tennant Voice] so much more!! Especially when the villains are the worst part of the lot - the historical aspect of the story is incredibly well played, and I should give it a few points for that, (as a matter of fact I will) but the Red-Caps are embarrassingly stupid. Not their concept, their concept is lovely. Their CHARACTER is embarrassingly stupid, one of them walks off a cliff at one point on accident!  The Overlord is better, but their concept is a little more generic, and their whispery voice can sometimes be a strain to hear. Honestly, both could do a little more work themselves. I can’t say I’m very interested in the sequel-hook involving the Black Water, but Baker and Hines are enjoyable enough that I’m willing to give the next one a go, despite this misfire. Good history shit though, maybe should have focused a bit more on that. 5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cobwebs

Torchwood: Aliens Among Us 2

NCJDDAS: Dark Page

(MAIN RANGE): Dinnertime Part One

Ninth Doctor Adventures: Ravagers