Wreck of the Titan

 


The Wreck of the Titan by Barnaby Edwards

The thing about Wreck of the Titan is one, It's probably really good if not for the fact that I was spoiled and two, It loses steam very fricking quickly. A bit annoying in that the initial mystery is so interesting - I adore Parts One and Two - but when the "weird shit is happening" aspect goes away a bit in Part Three and Four, which can be, well, disappointing, especially given the initial concept of the Titanic ebbing away into the Titan, is really engrossing. I like weird stuff in Doctor Who, and that's good. The trouble is that you can’t just keep going with the weird shit, the plot has to happen eventually, and this is doubly problematic  when the Nautilus enters the narrative, the truth becomes a little too easy to guess. The Nautilus is just too famous. I didn’t really know the spoilers for this one that well, I had only heard them a long time ago, but a story like this will make you remember them fairly quickly. in truth, the cool concept takes a long time getting to it’s cool solution. I love the initial impact of the Titanic blowing up in 20 minutes, and the introduction to the Titan, but I felt that them blowing up the Titan, such an intriguing concept so early on as well without a form of serial escalation that worked well enough - I don’t know. Something about Wreck fails to connect with me, but it is better on every level to City of Spires, a definite improvement. And unlike City, it does make me want to seek out the conclusion. I may sound slightly miffed about  this one, as I do think it’s good, but in truth I think this had the potential to be one of the best Doctor Who stories under the Big Finish banner. A still excellent  missed opportunity: 8/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cobwebs

Torchwood: Aliens Among Us 2

NCJDDAS: Dark Page

(MAIN RANGE): Dinnertime Part One

Ninth Doctor Adventures: Ravagers