The God Complex by Toby Whithouse

Image by Arbrax

The God Complex by Toby Whithouse

I didn’t think much of The God Complex Until I rewatched it today. I thought it was a average episode. But Toby Whithouse is a gorgeous writer that I’ve always loved, and while I wasn’t expecting much out of a rewatch, I think I discovered something truly special. The concepts behind the God Complex are so much more complicated and well thought out than they initially seem. Praise Him, From the titular scene where Rita calls out the Doctor’s “God Complex” to Amy and Rory’s supposed departure, to the absolutely astonishing scene with Amy’s room being her old past years that she wished away, waiting for the Doctor, and how the Doctor breaks her faith in him. It never hit me the first time the levels of the writing there, but above all, The God Complex is not just a brilliant Sci Fi device, but also a really surprisingly deep character study between The Doctor and Amy. Praise Him, The first time I watched the God Complex, I didn’t believe it. Didn’t believe that Amy could be broken like that, didn’t believe any of it. But the more I think about how it ties in to her eventual departure, her storyline with choosing between the Doctor and Rory and how she tries to have both before choosing Rory in the Angels Take Manhattan adds another level to it. Praise Him. The scenes of the rooms, the paintings in the lobby and the choice to set it at all in a 80s hotel are all brilliantly creepy, but on a subtle level, without a need to add scare chords and jump scares. The elevator chiptune soundtrack adds to this too. Praise Him. I above all, really enjoy the God Complex more, having seen it as a different part of the arc. I wasn’t planning on reviewing this today, but you know, the thing is, is that The God Complex is one of those stories that gets better the more you think about and analyze it. PRAISE HIM. PRAISE HIM. PRAISE HIM. PRAISE HIM. All in all, it’s a deep episode that merits analyzation. And you know, to steal a joke, I think My God Complex room would probably Praise Him Praise him Praise Him Praise Him Praise Him Praise Him Praise Him P̸̓͠r̶͑̎a̷̾̍ī̷̈́ș̴͝ê̶͗ ̸͂̾H̴̭̿i̴̿̋m̷̏̾ ̵̓̍P̷̀̒r̴͌̾a̶̎̔i̵̍̕s̴͊̅e̷͒̋ ̸̀́H̶͗̽ḯ̴͗m̸͔̃ ̷̙̽P̷͑̊r̸͈̿a̷̟̽i̵͑̈́s̸̋͠è̸̕ ̵͋͘H̶͌͛ḯ̵̍m̷̎ͅ ̷͂̄Ṗ̶͠ṙ̴̮a̷̍͠í̴̒s̵̛͘è̶̋ ̸͆̉H̷̔̅ỉ̶̌ṁ̵̔ PRAISE HIM praise him praise him praise him praise him praise him praise him praise him praise him praise him praise him
10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cobwebs

Torchwood: Aliens Among Us 2

NCJDDAS: Dark Page

(MAIN RANGE): Dinnertime Part One

Ninth Doctor Adventures: Ravagers